With most of the companies and individuals shying away from selling their technology to the government, a person who will be able to get into this market will not only get a big monetary reward but will also create an avenue where he will get bigger contracts in the future.
Though the process of selling your technology to the government is complex where you have to go through a long and complicated cycle, the reward will be great as the military have funds that are set aside for use in technology. A small project with the military could be an avenue that will earn you a bigger and a longer contract.
Some of the requirements before embarking on selling your technology to the government include:
- Complete belief in your technology: The military is a sensitive arm of the government and to sell a technology to them, you have to be sure of how it works and the impact it will have on its operations. You will be vetted and asked to demonstrate how the technology will positively impact the military and if you fail that test, you will lose on the golden opportunity of earning millions from the government.
- Think long-term: A person who wishes to sell his technology to the government should not have the mentality of earning some quick cash. You have to be patient and focus on a long-term payoff that will get you more instead of the get rich schemes that will earn you a small income to day and before you know it, the contract is over.
- Have a great success story: A technology sale to the military will not be a deal that will be over in a few meetings with the relevant authorities. You should have installed different technology apps for other clients who will be willing to recommend you to the government. This will reassure the military that you can be trusted and dealing with you will not be putting their money at risk.
- Get a dedicated team: To successfully sell your technology to the military, you should have someone who will be fully engaged in learning how the military work and understand their language. This will ensure that you use the right approach when selling your idea to them. A person who does not have any idea of how the military operates will have a harder time convincing the authorities to buy his technology.
- Have a workable delivery structure: There are different departments in the military and they interact in the day to day running of their operations. If you are given a contract to deliver a technology by one of the departments, be sure to give it your best as this will determine whether you will be contacted for future contracts. Keep time when it comes to the delivery of any projects that have been entrusted to you and this will ensure that any time a technology installation is required, you will be the first to be considered.
You should ensure that all your tools are ready before reaching out to the military for a technology sale so that you will be able to handle any concern that may be raised. You should also make sure that you have a good delivery history with all your past clients so that they can sing your praises which will increase your chances of getting more contracts.